Saturday October 20 2018 Sydney Thunderstorm Alert
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for LARGE HAILSTONES, HEAVY RAINFALL and DAMAGING WINDS
For people in Metropolitan, Illawarra, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and parts of Hunter, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes and Upper Western Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:53 pm Saturday, 20 October 2018.
A trough is interacting with a humid airmass to produce thunderstorms across much of the state.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce large hailstones, heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in parts of the Hunter, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, Central West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes and Upper Western districts. Locations which may be affected include Mudgee, Orange, Moree, Narrabri, Walgett, Dubbo, Parkes, Coonabarabran and Lightning Ridge.
Sydney Radar Shows Storms Incoming
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in the Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of the Hunter, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and South West Slopes districts. Locations which may be affected include Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra, Katoomba, Goulburn and Yass.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.