Breaking: The Sydney New Years Eve Fireworks approved.
Despite fires still raging across NSW and a total fire ban, the Sydney New Years Eve 2019/2020 fireworks are still going ahead.
The NSWRFS has given approval for the City of Sydney to conduct a fireworks display on New Years Eve, despite a state wide fire ban.
The exemption was granted at the last minute.
250,000 people had signed a petition, local politicians and media identities had called for the cancellation of Sydney New Years Eve fireworks.
“The Sydney Harbour fireworks have been approved to proceed,” NSWRFS said.
Meanwhile, most other fireworks displays across NSW had been cancelled.
New Years Eve Fireworks displays across NSW and Sydney have been cancelled as a fire ban comes into play.
New Year’s Eve will see hot, windy conditions that will create bushfire emergencies across the state.
It’s feared New Year’s Eve fireworks displays could create grassfire and bushfires.
In Sydneys west, local fireworks were called off.
City of Parramatta lord mayor Bob Dwyer said on Monday afternoon.
“In addition, the Bureau of Meteorology has forecast high winds with a southerly change on New Year’s Eve, which pose too big a risk to the health and safety of our community.”
Across regions of NSW, towns were calling off NYE.
Tweed Heads, Armidale, Port Macquarie, Shell Harbour, Berry, Huskisson, Maitland Shire has cancelled displays.
Related: NSW fire ban for NYE
The Sydney News Authors