Sydney Storm Incoming
There’s potential for hail and high winds plus flash flooding as a severe Sydney storm rolls in.
A huge dust storm is also moving ahead of the cold front, bringing a double whammy to Sydney today.
A huge dust storm seen heading toward Sydney.
Latest: Sydney Dust Storm
The NSW Weather Bureau has issued a thunderstorm warning for Sydney today. Here’s the latest alert:
Weather Situation (Sydney storm)
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds in the warning area over the next several hours. Locations which may be affected include Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Mudgee, Bathurst and Katoomba.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 3:35 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
More Sydney News updates soon
The Sydney News Authors