Sydney storms: A warning for rain, thunderstorms and wind squalls Tonight.
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for DAMAGING WINDS and LARGE HAILSTONES
For people in Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, Hunter, Metropolitan, Illawarra, North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, Upper Western and Snowy Mountains Forecast Districts.
Issued at 3:54 pm Saturday, 30 November 2019.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds and large hailstones over the next several hours in the Northern Rivers, Mid North Coast, North West Slopes and Plains, Northern Tablelands and parts of the Hunter and Upper Western districts. Locations which may be affected include Lismore, Grafton, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Taree, Newcastle, Armidale, Tamworth, Moree, Narrabri, Walgett and Lightning Ridge.
Squally showers or thunderstorms are likely to produce damaging winds over the next several hours in the Metropolitan, Illawarra and parts of the Hunter, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Snowy Mountains districts. Locations which may be affected include Gosford, Sydney, Penrith, Parramatta, Bowral, Campbelltown, Braidwood, Katoomba, Goulburn, Taralga, Araluen and Nerriga.
Nerriga recorded 48kt gust at 2:30pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:55 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 210. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
The Sydney News Authors