Sydney’s transport network will see capacity reduced to half a million daily users, down from 2.2 million.
The changes will likely force thousands onto the roads and traffic jams worse than previously.
The NSW government is implementing strict social distancing rules and is forcing people wanting to commute to work to use cars, bikes or encourage walking instead.
The actions are forcing a surge in traffic on Sydney’s roads.
On Monday morning, social media users vented their anger at the huge surge in local traffic.
The Premier actively encouraged people to avoid buses and trains.
“We normally encourage people to catch public transport but given the constraints in the peak and the fact we are exercising social distancing, we want people to consider different ways to get to work,” Berejiklian told reporters in Sydney.
“Places in and around the CBD, but also in employment hubs, will be investigated and more pop-up parking stations will be made available,” she added.
The Public Transport Minister also pushed the anti public transport line.
“I don’t want to see a mass transit system in Australia or in Sydney, a global city, driving infection and people die,” he said.
“We need to do this safely.”
He urged travellers to “be kind to each other” amid fears of people trying in vain to board trains and buses.
“People are going to have to patient.
“If you live in the inner city areas … make sure you cycle or walk.
“We know this is hard.”
The pandemic crisis in NSW appears to be abating, with just one case today.
The government is slowly opening up the economy with people encouraged to return to offices in the coming weeks.
More Sydney News
The Sydney News Authors