Sydney Weather Alert
The BOM is warning of severe storms in parts of Sydney and regional NSW.
“POSSIBLE GIANT HAILSTONES”
Map of warning area extends into most of the Sydney metropolitan area.
TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
for HEAVY RAINFALL, DAMAGING WINDS and LARGE, POSSIBLY GIANT HAILSTONES
For people in Metropolitan and parts of Mid North Coast, Hunter, Illawarra, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Issued at 5:33 pm Sunday, 27 January 2019.
Sydney Weather Alert
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding, damaging winds and large, possibly giant hailstones over the next several hours in the Metropolitan and parts of the Hunter, Illawarra, Central Tablelands and Southern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Penrith, Parramatta, Wollongong, Bowral, Campbelltown and Katoomba.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding over the next several hours in parts of the Mid North Coast, Hunter and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Dorrigo, Nowendoc, Gloucester, Barrington Tops, Dungog and Yarrowitch.
Smallwoods Crossing (Nattai River, southwest of Camden) recieved 57mm of rainfall from a thunderstorm in 60 minutes from 3:45pm to 4:45pm.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Move your car under cover or away from trees.
* Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
* Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
* Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
* Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
* Don’t walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
* If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
* Unplug computers and appliances.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
* For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 8:35 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas, a more detailed Severe Thunderstorm Warning will be issued to people in this area.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau’s website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.
The Sydney News Authors