Fire weather warning in place for today across a wide area of New South Wales including areas near Sydney
There is a fire weather warning in place today for much of NSW and the Australian Capital Territory.
Fire Weather Warning
for the Illawarra/Shoalhaven, Far South Coast, Monaro Alpine, Southern Ranges and Southern Slopes fire areas
Issued at 5:04 am EDT on Saturday 1 February 2020.
Warm and windy conditions are bringing elevated fire dangers to the southeastern parts of New South Wales today.
For the rest of Saturday 1 February:
Severe Fire Danger is forecast for the following fire areas:
Illawarra/Shoalhaven, Far South Coast, Monaro Alpine, Southern Ranges and Southern Slopes
The NSW Rural Fire Service advises you to:
- Action your Bushfire Survival Plan now.
- Monitor the fire and weather situation through your local radio station, www.rfs.nsw.gov.au and www.bom.gov.au.
- Call 000 (Triple Zero) in an emergency.
The Rural Fire Service advises that if you are in an area of Severe Fire Danger:
- If you plan to leave finalise your options and leave early on the day
- Only stay if your home is well prepared and you can actively defend it
- Prepare for the emotional, mental and physical impact of defending your property – if in doubt, leave.
For information on preparing for bushfires go to www.rfs.nsw.gov.au.
No further warnings will be issued for this event, but the situation will continue to be monitored and further warnings issued if necessary.
- Total Fire Ban and Current Fire Danger Map
- Tropical Cyclone Warnings and Information
- Marine Reference Points
- About fire weather warnings
The Sydney News Authors